County Clerk and Recorder
Williamson County Clerk and Recorder
407 N Monroe, Suite 119
Marion, Illinois 62959
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
County Clerk Duties
The duties and responsibilities of the County Clerk are many and varied but essentially, the position can best be described as the clerical arm of Williamson County Government. The main functions of this office include:
- Serving as Clerk to the County Board and performing such duties as officially filing all matters to be brought before the Board, notifying all Board members of meetings, preparing and publishing the minutes of the Board meetings and keeping accurate files of Board minutes.
- Administering and delivering such services to the general public as issuance of marriage license, commissioning notary publics, receiving delinquent taxes, annually publishing a County Directory of the personnel and elected officials of the County and municipal office holders, maintaining population statistics and assessed valuation records of the County as well as for various school districts and municipalities.
- Administering and delivering tax services such as annually calculating the rate for various taxing authorities and working with the Supervisor of Assessments, Board of Review and County Treasurer to issue property tax bills.
- Conducting and administering voter registration services and managing all election proceedings.
- Maintaining records of the County’s vital statistics and records including birth, death and marriage certificates and reporting statistics to the State, as required by law. The main responsibility of the Recorder is to record all documents transferring land in order to establish legal ownership and protect rights.
- Assisting the public in retrieving, researching, copying and viewing legal documents such as: Business names, corporations, deeds and mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as assorted federal, state and local liens. Other documents included are veterans discharge papers.
- Responsible for the recordation and storage of subdivision plats, land survey’s and monument records. Our records are indexed and available to view by both bound record books and digital images on the computer.
- Register a Business
- Submit a Foreclosure
- File Economic Statement
- Military Discharge Papers
- Notary Commissions