Civil Union Records

Requesting a Certified Copy

You can get a certified copy of your civil union license if it was issued in Williamson County from the County Clerk’s Office. Include both partner’s names, the date of the civil union and the fee of $50.00. Additional copies of the same license may be obtained for $6.00 each.

Print & Complete Request Form

Where To Mail Your Request:
Williamson County Clerk and Recorder
Amanda Barnes
407 N Monroe, Suite 119
Marion, Illinois 62959

Apply For a Civil Union License in Williamson County, Illinois

Where To Apply:
Williamson County Clerk and Recorder
Amanda Barnes
407 N Monroe, Suite 119
Marion, Illinois 62959

When To Apply:
You and your partner must appear at the Office of the County Clerk. The license must be obtained at least 1 day prior to being used. The license is void 60 days after the effective date. The license must be used in Williamson County.

Fee:  The fee for a marriage license is $50.00.


Age: In order to enter into a civil union in Illinois, you must be at least 18 years of age.

Proof of Age: It is necessary to show proof of age when you apply for a civil union license. A valid Driver’s License or State ID is acceptable.

Non-Residents: Non-Residents cannot obtain a civil union license if said civil union would be void in their state.

Return of License: The Officiate to the ceremony must return the license to the County Clerk’s Office within 10 days after the date of the civil union.

Use of Civil Union License: The license becomes valid the day after it is issued and is valid for 60 days. You must have the civil union certified in Williamson County. A person referred to as the officiate will certify the Civil Union.

Who Can Certify A Civil Union: A civil union may be certified by a judge, a retired judge of a court of record or in accordance with the rules of any religion, Indian Nation or Tribe provided that any required officiate is in good standing.

Civil Union By A Judge: If you wish to be certified by a judge, arrangements must be made with the Chief Judges Office by calling 618-997-1301 ext  1268. Civil Unions are performed on Thursday’s. After paying the required judges’ fee in the Circuit Clerk’s Office, in the courthouse, you will be directed to the court room where ceremonies are performed.

Pay Online & Email Request

Please note: this only applies to those paying through the online link below. If you wish to pay online via credit/debit card, please click the button below. There is an automatic additional fee added to your transaction for use of a credit/debit card. You may email your application and ID to or fax to 618-993-2071.

Pay Online Via Credit/Debit