Tax Sale Information
What is a Tax Sale?
By Illinois State Statutes (35ILCS200) the county collector/treasurer is required to sell any taxes that have not been paid in full for the current tax year.
- We do not sell the house; again we sell only the unpaid taxes.
- At the sale, a tax buyer pays/buys the taxes, then the county collector distributes the money from the sale to each of the taxing bodies to make them whole.
- After the sale is completed the homeowner of record deals directly with the Williamson County Clerk’s office for the redemption.
- The longer time between the sale and redemption, the higher the penalty is likely to be.
- Hopefully, this sheds a little light on the tax sale process. If you have questions or concerns, please call the Treasurer’s Office at 618-998-2142. ext. 1166.
2022 Tax Sale Date: To be Announced
Administrative Building 2nd Floor
407 N. Monroe Marion, Illinois
Persons interested in participating in this year’s sale:
Registration is To be Announced.
- We strongly advise you to read the Illinois Statutes pertaining to the tax sale (35ILCS200).
- Complete the Application for Delinquent Property Tax Sale and W-9 form. A $500 deposit is required.
- If you attend the entire sale, but are unable to purchase any taxes, your deposit will be refunded.
- An additional $200 fee will be charged to the buyers interested in obtaining a delinquent tax list. This $200 is optional for tax sale participants. Upon completing the application and making the payment, Joseph E Meyer & Associates will contact you via e-mail for the requested format of the list
- Important: The tax sale list that is provided to you should be used for the sole purpose of the delinquent tax sale. Use of this information for any other purpose is strictly prohibited. The County Treasurer has the authority to deny the sale of this list to anyone who violates this rule.
Tax Sale Proceedings
The Tax Lien Sale will begin at 9:00 am on, to be announced, and will continue until all tax sale liens are offered.
- The sale is an automated computer system that will enable the buyer to bid on a parcel electronically.
- Lap top computers will be provided to each buyer (demo can be seen at www.iltaxsale.com)
- Bidding starts at 18% and taxes are sold to the first lowest bidder.
- Any parcel not sold will become the property of Williamson County as Trustee.
- Seating is based on first come first serve. Doors will open at 8:00 am.
- Any corrections must be completed before the sale has ended.
- Buyers are expected to make full payment by the end of the sale.
Some parcels listed may not be offered at the sale for the following reasons:
Paid by owner, bankruptcy, forfeiture, exempt, foreclosure, court orders and other reason required by law.
• No smoking in the building
• We will provide two 15 minute breaks
• Use of cell phones in the tax sale room is prohibited
After the Sale
Those that participated in the sale must have payments for purchases posted in the Williamson County Clerk’s Judgment Book.
- Reports of taxes bought by the tax buyers will be available after the sale.
- Certificates will be sent certified mail after they have been verified.
- We strongly advise that you read the Illinois Statutes pertaining to the tax sale (35ILCS200)
- Tax Sale Registration Form
- W-9 Form
- Tax Sale Seminar Presentation
Illinois Compiled Statutes
For a list of Illinois Compiled Statues, please visit the following link:View Illinois Compiled Statutes